Archive for January 14th, 2014

January 14, 2014

How to Engage Your Customers on Social Media

The rules for marketing have changed.  When it comes to engaging your customers on social media, keep your sales messages to a minimum.  Social media isn’t advertising.  When engaging, remember the 80/20 rule.  Make sure that 80% of your posts give your readers information they want and need.  The other 20% of the conversation can be about your business, products and services.  Remember to give good information about your business, not a sales message.  People do business with people they know, like and trust.  This can take a little time; but, it is time well spent and can pay off big when your customers start sharing your posts with their families and friends.  Just a couple of shares could double or triple the reach of your current fan base.

Share Like Cupcakes

Yummy way to get more engagement.

If you’re a bakery, dessert shop or dessert food truck.  Here’s a way to show your product and engage your customers without a sales message! Think about how you can adapt this message to your business.

When engaging your customers, be a problem solver.  Offer tips and advice to everyday problems they may be experiencing.  Social media levels the playing field; and as a business owner, you have a big advantage over large corporations.  You can be authentic!  Large corporations have to hire a spokesperson or create characters like Coca Cola’s polar bears or Chick-fil-A’s cows; but you, on the other hand, speak with an authentic voice, and that’s why your customers opt to receive your message. Don’t disappoint them!  Post regularly and have fun.

Ask questions.  After all, this is a conversation.  If you do all the talking, you aren’t being very social. Asking questions is a great way to start a conversation.  By asking questions, you will learn more about your customers and learn what interests them.  This can help you when making future posts.

Mix it up.  Share links to relevant material, post photos, videos, testimonials and quotes from industry leaders.  Show your fans and followers love by creating custom content that is exclusively for them. This exclusive content doesn’t have to be a discount or a contest.  It can be as simple as letting your fans and followers be the first know about your latest creation!  Always entertain and educate.

Finally, monitor your posts and duplicate what works.  If a post gets a lot of likes, comments, shares or re-tweets take note and rework it and reuse it.

Let’s stay in touch. Follow me on Facebook  at or on Twitter @LordSocialMedia.